At iSPACE, we are inspiring the next generation of female STEM professionals through immersive programs that spark interest in exciting STEM careers.
Girls in STEM events at iSPACE
iSPACE Girls Who Code Club For 3rd through 5th grade girls Wednesday Evenings: January 29, February 5, February 12, February 19, February 26, March 4…
For Campers: Girls ONLY Entering Grades 6-8 — Discover where and why NASA looks to nature for answers when designing robots to explore our solar system…
Girls Program Format
- Evening events 3 – 4 times per year, approximately 2 hours long
- 50-60 participants (grades 5 – 12)
- Typical program:
- Snack and time to interact with mentors
- Hands-on activity to reinforce concepts being taught
Girls in STEM Advisory Board
In 2018 iSPACE created a Girls in STEM Advisory Board to help address the need to provide quality, career focused, STEM opportunities for young women.
iSPACE offers a unique partnership opportunity to increase the number of girls joining the local STEM talent pool!
STEM jobs are expected to rise dramatically in future years. Unfortunately, many girls are missing out on these opportunities. While women make up half of the workforce, they represent only 29% of the science and engineering workforce.
By providing hands-on opportunities for girls to experience STEM, including exposure to female STEM role models, iSPACE encourages more girls to aspire to STEM careers. Our all-girl programs provide a safe place to “fail” through experimentation to develop skills and knowledge and most importantly, to get comfortable with mistakes and grow in persistence.
- Provide funding and/or mentors for a program
- Mentors (10 -12 mentors per program)
- Funding for food and supplies (approximately $600 per event)
- Hands-on activity for 50-60 students
- Provide location for event (tour of your facility, etc…)
For more information contact Sue Williams at swilliams@iSPACEstem.org
Girl Scout Programs
Looking for a program for your Girl Scout Troop? Check out our Scout page for more girls in STEM programs!
Why Girls in STEM
- Changing the Curve Women in Computing
- For the first time, the biggest prize in mathematics has been awarded to a woman.
- We’re addressing gender disparity in engineering way too late
- Closing the gender gap in the tech industry
- Why So Few? Women in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics
- Why It’s Crucial to Get More Women Into Science
- Closing the STEM Gender Gap: Why Is It Important and What Can You Do to Help?
- Why We Need Women in STEM
- STEM fields still have a gender imbalance. Here’s what we can do about it
- Why We Should Care About Sexism In Science
- How gender equality in STEM education leads to economic growth
- Reaching the Full Potential of STEM for Women and the U.S. Economy
- The Secret To Future Economic Growth And Prosperity? More Women In STEM
- Change the Equation
What You Can Do for Your Girl in STEM
- Why Bright Girls Struggle: When Ability Doesn’t Lead to Confidence
- Five things parents can do every day to help develop STEM skills from a young age
- 4 Things Everyone Should Know About Early STEM Learning
- Let’s Talk, Read and Sing about STEM!Tips for Infant/Toddler Teachers & Providers
- 10 Tips to Support Children’s Science Learning
- How to Get Your Kids Interested in STEM (Without Forcing It on Them)
- Strategies for Parents to Support Daughters in STEM