The application period for 2018-2019 iSEA is now OPEN!
The 2018-2019 session of the iSPACE STEM Educator Academy will be conducted for a Northern Kentucky Cohort of fourth grade educators. Participation is limited to one educator per school (except in rare cases) from Northern Kentucky districts in Kenton, Boone, and Campbell Counties. Applicants will receive notification of the review committee’s decision regarding acceptance by October 19, 2018. For more information and to apply, see below.
Our free educator professional development grant project consists of six PD sessions with opportunities to experience STEM learning first-hand and translate these into effective classroom instructional strategies and techniques. Educators will learn how to enhance their teaching of STEM topics, so students develop critical-thinking skills while learning meaningful content. Qualifying participants will receive a free field trip for one class, contact hours, and increase leadership capacity to sustain changes in STEM education within their school/district – and have fun!
The iSPACE STEM Educator Academy is designed to enhance STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) education by providing opportunities for educators to:
- experience the practices of STEM first-hand and translate these into effective classroom instructional strategies and techniques
- enhance teaching in STEM topics so students develop critical-thinking skills while learning meaningful content
- increase self-efficacy in STEM education and leadership capacity to sustain changes in your school/district
Benefits to Participating Educators
- 18-21 contact hours of professional development covering various content standards related to: Physical Science and Engineering Design. Five - six sessions will be offered over the course of 2018 and 2019. See sidebar for tentative dates.
- Increased foundational knowledge and self-efficacy of grade appropriate STEM content and effective pedagogy
- Increased capacity to provide leadership for improving STEM learning in your school/district
- Opportunity to collaborate in a regional STEM learning community
- Increased student interest in STEM content and careers
- Participation in the Academy will address a variety of the Kentucky Teaching Standards
- Classroom kit materials and supplies (valued at ~$1200)
- A free iSPACE field trip for one class and discounted rates for additional classes
- Snacks/meals provided during all training sessions
- All benefits (field trip, workshops, kits, food, etc.) are valued at over $2500
Commitments of Participating Educators
- Attend all professional development sessions/meetings associated with the project in 2018 and 2019 (All training sessions will be offered during out of school hours)
- Participate as a presenter for at least one session to colleagues (school/district)
- Support iSPACE and your district with obtaining evaluation data through participating in short surveys, interviews, observations, and/or providing student data
- Participate in online interactions (polls, journal responses, etc.) throughout the program
Applications will be accepted online until midnight of October 12, 2018. You will be notified of the review committee’s decision regarding acceptance into the Academy no later than October 19, 2018.
- Employed as a full-time teacher in Northern Kentucky (Boone, Kenton, or Campbell Counties) for the 2018-2019 school year and intend to continue in 2019-2020
- Teach 4th grade
- Have a strong desire to improve STEM teaching and learning in the classroom
The selection process is based upon the responses on the application form and school/community demographics. The iSPACE STEM Educator Academy’s goal is to provide opportunities to educators from a broad spectrum of schools to include diversity in size, school type (private/public, rural/urban), and socioeconomic backgrounds of student populations and communities.
iSEA NKY Fourth Grade Cohort
Planned Cohort dates:
- 11/14/18, Wednesday from 5:00-8:00 p.m. at NKU
- 12/12/18, Wednesday from 5:00-8:00 p.m. at TBD
- 1/9/19, Wednesday from 5:00-8:00 p.m. at TBD
- 3/13/19, Wednesday from 5:00-8:00 p.m. at TBD
- 5/8/19, Wednesday from 5:00-8:00 p.m. location TBD
- 6/6 OR 6/7/19, Thursday OR Friday from 8:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. at iSPACE
Please check your calendars – participants will be expected to attend all sessions (dates may be subject to change due to weather issues).
Make a Donation
Together, we can bridge the gap between the needs of the technically oriented and innovation driven businesses and the availability of highly trained graduates.